In the realm of the mythical mountain gorilla
In the magnificent scenery of the Volcanoes National Park, one of the two last sanctuaries for the mythical mountain gorillas in the world, hike through the mountain forests in search of the peaceful giants, in the footsteps of the legendary Dian Fossey.
Your accommodation, a genuinely luxurious and eco-sensitive safari lodge, is the ideal base camp for you to enjoy the most immersive wild primate experience.
Your accomodation: Bisate Lodge
Your exclusive programme:
Welcome at the lodge and first exploration
- Welcome at the airstrip and transfer to the most luxurious lodge in the Volcanoes National Park area.
- Introduction to the program of the following days by your dedicated staff.
- In the afternoon, you can go for a community walk at Bisate to meet the local people or discover Buhanga Eco Park, a cultural location built on an ancient sacred site.
- Enjoy a sun-downer aperitif on the terrace of the lodge in front of a stunning view before savoring a gourmet dinner.
First encounter with gorillas
- At sunrise, your naturalist guide, a primate specialist, will join you and lead you to the park entrance to start the trek in a private group.
- Hike through gorgeous bamboo and Hagenia forests in search of the pre-selected gorilla groups, for an encounter of indescribable intensity! Each hike can last from 2 to 8 hours depending on the location of the gorilla group. For the well-being of the gorillas, your encounter is limited to one hour at a maximum (children allowed >12 y.o.).
Second encounter with gorillas
- This morning, leave for a second gorilla trek. Today there are only around 1000 mountain gorillas in the world, so it’s a privilege to see them. The encounter with mountain gorillas in their natural environment is an experience you will never forge
- Back at your lodge, enjoy the different activities proposed or pamper yourself at the spa.
- In the evening, let your chef surprise you with a gourmet dinner prepared with fresh organic ingredients grown locally.
On the footsteps of Dian Fossey
- In the morning, you go for a walk around the lodge property to participate in the reforestation programme: an opportunity to learn more about sustainability projects in the area.
- Visit of the Dian Fossey exhibition with a private guide before heading back to Kigali airport.
- Note: program and activities are subject to weather conditions and can vary according to local requirements.